Saturday, March 31, 2012

Everyday Heroes

Day after day they work
Putting their lives on the line for us
I’ve never met them
They have no idea who I am either
But I’m grateful for what they do
If only they knew that
What drives them to do it?
What could possibly make them do it?
They sleep with guns an arm’s length away,
Um, scary? I think yes
Walking the streets of foreign lands
Spending months, even years away from their families
Talking to them only when they have connection
Their only hold is the photo they keep in the front pocket
Tucked safely away with the note from their wives
The only tangible memory of them
The family back home questions, worries
Go days without seeing them
Missed events: birthdays, bike rides, proms, anniversaries
Going to bed without even a hug
Kissing the frame by their bedside
Praying that they will survive yet another day
Maybe soon they will get transferred home
They hold onto that wish as they drift to sleep
Only to wake up the next day and not see them there
Maybe things will be different one day
But for now what more can we do?
Dear Soldier the most I can say is thank you
Your sacrifices are great
And I can never repay you
I respect you
I’m grateful for you
Thank you for fighting for my freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment