Saturday, March 3, 2012

Never Give Up Hope

Who said we had to grow up?
At what point in our lives are we required to let go of our childhood dreams?
Those days of wishing to grow up and be doctors or astronauts,
Why did we give up?
When did we realize that not every child our age would grow up to become the president?
More importantly when did we decide that it wouldn’t be us who would be president?
It’s just not fair.
It’s not fair that the world has told us what we have to become
It’s not fair that we have been told to be someone else
We have to come up with some reasonable boring desk job,
When we were little it was all about adventure.
All about playing with our friends,
All about riding our bikes and rollerblading during the summer
All about making it to Harvard, and being a genius
When coloring perfectly inside the lines meant we would be the next Picasso.
Well I’ve decided that I will not give that up.
No I’m no artist, and I knew that as a child,
But who says I can’t be a brilliant doctor.
No one, that’s who,
No one will tell me what I can and cannot do
I will never give up hope on what I want to become,
And you shouldn’t either.

2 comments:

  1. "When coloring perfectly inside the lines meant we would be the next picasso." I love that line. It was so true. I really like this whole post in general because in this time we live in it really is true that when we were kids we thought of things we could be but now it seems we'll never get to those dreams. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you write. I love the imagery you put into this post!!

    ReplyDelete