Monday, March 12, 2012

Sleep

Lying there staring at the ceiling
Counting sheep
But sleep never comes.
The creaks in the house echo through my room
Bouncing between the window and the dresser
Tick tock, tick tock
Time never stops it keeps going,
But where does it go?
When I close my eyes what happens?
Where does my mind go?
I reach my breaking point
Finally falling captive to that looming darkness
Sleep

My mind wanders
Traveling through the empty house,
Exploring each crevice
Storing the previous day away
Hiding some moments
Holding others out in the open to share with all
While clutching some moments close to my heart
I replay those moments and they come to life
The sounds, the smells, the smiles, the tears
It all comes flooding back
In waves of memories
Time never stops it keeps going

Moving on
It travels to all the places I’ve been
It hides behind the desk
That holds me captive during the day
It reaches out to me
Acting out what I wish I would have just said
If only, if only
It’s my one more chance to stand out
It takes me to all the places I wish to go
Hiking the hillside of the Himalayas,
Biking the bottom of the Grand Canyon
Riding the dizzying roller coasters of Disneyland
Standing atop the ridge lines of Scotland
Looking out among the rolling waves coming in

Those waves of memories
Filling the room
Jumbling together to create dreams
Unfolding all the moments like a map
Only to fold them back up
And file them neatly away
Behind the tab titled memories
My mind continues to wander
Time keeps going
Tick tock echo through my room

Beep BEep BEeP BEEP BEEP!!!
The alarm sounds
Awakening me to the reality of time
It continued on without me
While all I did was sleep

~ Elle Woods

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you talked about time in this post. Time. It never stops. It keeps on going. And it will continue on without us. Whether we're awake to check on it or not.

    That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "beep, beep, beep" i hate that sound! i loved this post cuz i felt like i was really there with you!:)

    ReplyDelete