Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Poetry

I write it
It’s compiled of papers
Scattered from all different places
Equations from math are etched in the back
George Washington and other president’s timelines cover the sides
But at least I wrote it down
All those days of not paying attention in class
Maybe they are finally paying off
Maybe this is me finding my calling in life
Maybe, probably not

I hide it from most people
Afraid of what they might say if they actually saw it
No I don’t spill my secrets
But I say what I feel
I have no inhibitions
I don’t care what others have to say
Maybe that is the scariest part
But if they actually saw it what would I do
It might be too late to transfer schools
But maybe not

Oh but it just isn’t fair
So what if I stated my mind
It’s my poetry after all right
Or is it for you?
Did I write it so just in case someone saw it I wouldn’t be mortified?
I hope not
I really thought that it was for me.
I really thought that it was mine
That no one could take that outlet away from me

Subconsciously what if I still follow all the rules
Those stupid, confining rules of literacy
They say that I can’t end a sentence in the middle of . . .
Hmm. Look at that, I just did.
So there

Nope it’s for me
That proves it
It’s still my outlet
But it’s not for you to see
It’s mine
My poetry.

~Elle Woods

1 comment:

  1. I like that you have realized that you are writing for your own benefit. That really is the way poetry should be!

    "I don’t care what others have to say
    Maybe that is the scariest part" <--- Favorite line right there

    ReplyDelete